These mushroom meatballs were based on Chef John’s Meatless Meatballs.
- 3 Slices of bread (3/4 cup breadcrumbs)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 White onion, diced
- 1 Package mushrooms (8 oz), diced
- 3 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 Cup cooked quinoa or dry quick oats
- 1/2 Cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Teaspoon MSG
- 1/2 Teaspoon basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 Eggs
- Toast bread in a toaster. Chop into fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until slightly clear.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook on medium high until mushrooms are cooked and very little water remains.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter.
- Once butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, oats or quinoa, cheese, mushroom mixture, and spices.
- Add eggs to the bowl and mix with your hands. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Roll meatballs into 2 inch balls. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Top with pasta sauce.
Let me know how it turned out!