This recipe is a beef-free version of the Philly Cheese Steak modified from Domestic Superhero’s Portobello Philly Cheese Steak. If you are vegetarian exclude the chicken from this recipe.
Mock Philly Cheese Steak
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, Diced
- 1 Small Bag of Frozen Pepper and Onion Mix
- 6 oz Mushrooms, Diced
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 6 oz Cooked Chicken Breast, Shredded (optional)
- 2 Large Rolls or 4 Pieces of Toast
- ~3.5 oz Shredded Cheese or 4 Cheese Slices
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté until lightly brown. Add frozen pepper/onion mix to skillet.
- Cook vegetable mixture for ~6 minutes or until hot. Stir Continuously.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add mushrooms. Cook for one minute. Continue to stir.
- Add oregano and pepper to vegetables. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir until well combined.
- Add broth and soy sauce and turn heat to high. Cook until sauce is thick ~1-2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add cooked chicken to skillet if desired.
- Place filling on toasted bread or roll. Top with cheese.
- Set oven to high broil setting. Place sandwich in broiler for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
Tried this recipe? Tag me @isabellabrownnutrition
All items were purchase at Walmart Grocery Store in St. Robert, MO. All prices listed were reported on 7/8/2020.
Grocery Store Bill:
- 15 fl oz Soy Sauce = $1.28
- .87 oz Oregano = $0.98
- 17 oz Olive Oil = $3.94
- 8 count Rolls = $2.00
- 8 oz Shredded Cheese = $1.98
- 14 oz Can Broth = $0.98
- 8 oz Mushrooms = $1.88
- 20 oz Peppers = $2.33
Total Bill = $15.37
Price of Ingredients Used:
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil = $0.20
- 1 Small Bag of Frozen Pepper and Onion Mix = $2.33
- 6 oz Mushrooms, Diced =$1.48
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano = $0.05
- 1/4 Cup Broth = $0.12
- 1 Tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce = $0.08
- 2 Large Rolls or 4 Pieces of Toast = $0.50
- ~3.5 oz Shredded Cheesee = $0.75
Cost for Full Recipe = $5.51
Price Per Serving = $2.75